Vestibular Therapy is a specialized and individualized physiotherapy treatment program to relieve the symptoms and discomfort of vestibular disorders.
Who can it help?
Individuals who report any or all of the following symptoms as a result of a vestibular disorder:
- Balance problems
- Motion sensitivity (quick head movements provoke dizziness)
- Problems with gaze stability (blurring of vision with head movements)
The vestibular disorder may be caused by:
- Head trauma (motor vehicle accidents, falls, impact sports)
- Ear infections, including vestibular neuronitis and labyrinthitis
- Illness or disease
- Insidious onset such as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Stroke and brain injury
What can you expect?
A thorough assessment is performed focused on the function in 3 areas:
- Eye and head coordination
- Balance and gait
- Motion sensitivity
Following the initial assessment, treatment may include:
- Balance retraining exercises
- Specific vestibular exercises (adaptation and habituation exercises)
- Supervised therapy session to monitor progress and continually challenge the vestibular, visual and balance systems
- Repositioning maneuvers for BPPV
- Manual therapy techniques and acupuncture to improve mobility and soft tissue restrictions, and balance
Your physiotherapist at EQ Physio has completed extensive training in vestibular therapy from Emory University.
Please note that although a referral is not required, it is recommended that you consult with your physician.
Are you interested in Vestibular Therapy or unsure of how EQ Physio in Oakville can help?
Please email us at info@EQPhysio.com or call us at 905-599-MyPT (6478) for a free 10 minute consult!